Wouldn't it be great to own a few heavy chunks of gold?! Today, the price of gold was $1357 per ounce!
Gold is a considered a precious metal. It's economic value provides it's owners with purchasing power and people often invest in it as a hedge against inflation. Throughout history, various coins have been made with gold. Jewelry is often made from gold because of its beauty, luster and its resistance to corrosion.
As precious as gold may be to some people, the Bible says that God's words are to be more desired than gold, even much fine gold (Psalm 19:10). We think gold is great to have, and there is certainly nothing inherently wrong with possessing it, but God is telling us that HIS WORDS are to be desired over the finest pieces of gold. Gold has its benefits, but God's Word has infinitely far more benefits.
If we were to carefully look just through Psalm 19, 119 and a couple other relevant passages, we would quickly see what the Bible will do for us personally. The Word of God is able to make us wise unto salvation (2 Timothy 3:15)! We will never be the same again when we grasp the reality of the impact of the Word of God in our lives. So... what does it do for me personally?
- Restores my soul. (Psalm 19:7)
- Makes me wise. (Psalm 19:7; 119:98)
- Rejoices my heart. (Psalm 19:8; 119:111)
- Enlightens my eyes. (Psalm 19:8)
- Keeps me from sin. (Psalm 119:11)
- Gives me counsel. (Psalm 119:24)
- Strengthens me. (Psalm 119:28)
- Produces reverence. (Psalm 119:38)
- Revives and preserves me. (Psalm 119:50; 93)
- Teaches me discernment and knowledge (Psalm 119:66)
- Comforts me (Psalm 119:76)
- Provides understanding. (Psalm 119:104)
- Lights my path. (Psalm 119:105; 130)
- Shows me what is true. (Psalm 119:142; John 17:17)
- Keeps me from stumbling. (Psalm 119:165)
- Delivers me. (Psalm 119:170)
- Helps me. (Psalm 119:175)
- Builds me up. (Acts 20:32)
- Feeds me and cause growth. (Job 23:12; 1 Peter 2:2)
- Teaches, corrects, reproves and trains me in righteousness. (2 Timothy 3:16)
Come back and visit this blog during the next week or so, because we will be zeroing in on FIVE of these amazing benefits:
- God’s Word produces reverence.
- God’s Word keeps me from sin.
- God’s Word rejoices my heart.
- God’s Word delivers me.
- God’s Word causes growth.