How to View a Tragedy, According to Jesus.
- Tragedy can happen to Anyone.
- Tragedy is always Unexpected.
- Tragedy is a wake-up call for the Living.
- Tragedy is a reminder to the Church for Urgency.
Review: Eccl 7:2 | John 3:16
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Luke 13:1-5
What do you typically say when people ask your opinion about events like the shooting in Orlando?
How did Jesus respond when asked about a similar massacre (Luke 13:1-3)? Why did He also mention the "tower in Siloam" incident (Luke 13:4)? Why is His response to the tower scene exactly the same as the Pilate scene (compare Luke 13:3 and Luke 13:5)?
*Imagine a similar tragedy happening in the Pittsburgh area. For discussion's sake, let's say a "gentlemen's club" downtown experiences a shooting that kills many people. Describe specifically how we as a church should respond.
- Personally and as a small group, what should your response be to tragedy, according to Jesus? Have a plan now for when it happens!