God Was With Us...
Isaiah 9:6 - For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Micah 5:2 - But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose coming forth is from of old, from ancient days.
Matthew 1:18-23 - Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
- ...to be my SUBSTITUTE . (Hebrews 2:9-10)
- ...to be my SANCTIFIER . (Hebrews 2:11-13)
- ...to be my SYMPATHIZER . (Hebrews 2:17-18)
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Hebrews 2:9-18
- Why is it necessary that Jesus be fully God AND fully human? Would he be able to be a substitute/sanctifier/sympathizer if He wasn't fully God AND fully human? Why or why not?
- What have you done with this good news? Have you offered this gift to anyone else?
Who do you know that needs to know the life of Christ? Pray for that person by name.