Intro / Review:
Proverbs 22:1 - A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold.
A Good Name -> Riches.
- The love of money brings Destruction (Acts 19:21-29)
1 Timothy 6:10 - For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
Three Signs Money has Become Your God:
- You view Jesus/the Church as an Obstacle to your financial goals. (Acts 19:25)
- You religious Beliefs are based on your financial well-being. (Acts 19:26).
- You get Anxiety over the thought of losing money. (Acts 19:27).
- A good name brings Protection. (Acts 19:30-41)
Titus 2:7-8 - Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Acts 19:21-41
- How can you tell if YOU YOURSELF have made money an idol in your life? What are the signs? What should you do if you have the signs?
- What are ways the church today gets involved with idols? How can we be done with them?
- The town clerk, or "mayor" (Acts 19:35-41) stopped the riot. Should Christians use the government for protection / advancing the kingdom? To what extent?
- "I don't care what other people think about me!" Is this a Christian attitude? Why or why not?
Pray for your witness and testimony to reflect Christ.
Pray for favor from even your non-believing friends who see Christ in you.
Pray that any persecution that comes is because of the Gospel, not your personality.