Unbiblical STANDARDS lead to unbiblical expectations.
Unbiblical expectations can lead to DEPRESSION .Read 1 Kings 17 and 18:
Getting In (and Out) of Depression: (1 Kings 19:3-18)
- How to Get into Depression: (unbiblical expectations, life isn't what you planned)
- RETREAT by yourself. (1 Kgs 19:3-8)
- REPEAT the negative. (1 Kgs 19:10,14)
- REMEMBER nothing of God's Goodness. (1 Kgs 19:4-7)
- How to Get Out of Depression:
- Return to GOD . (1 Kgs 19:9-11)
- Return to WORK . (1 Kgs 19:15)
- Return to PEOPLE . (1 Kgs 19:15-17)
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Kings 19:1-17
- What are some ungodly standards the world promotes? How can you protect your children from these? [If you don’t have children, think in terms of, “If I did, I would do this…”. If your children are grown, what advice would you give them today (for your current or future grandchildren) on the subject?]
- How is depression tied into wrong expectations about life? How does being overly self-absorbed tie into depression / expectations?
- Why is isolating yourself a common habit for many people who struggle with depression? What would you say to a friend who seems depressed and isolating him/herself?
Pray for one another!