Who is Jesus?
- "Lunatic!" Says those that don't KNOW Him. (Mk 3:21-22)
- "Liar!" Says those that don't REJECT Him. (Mk 3:22-30)
- "Lord!" Says those who EMBRACE Him. (Mk 3:31-35)
What is the unforgivable sin?
How do I know I haven't done it?
Hebrews 2:3 - how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?
Hebrews 6:4-6 - For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance
Hebrews 10:26,29 - For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins... How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Mark 3:21-35
- Why do you think some people hold on to wrong opinions about Jesus without every really investigating Him for themselves (like His family who heard He was crazy, so they went after Him without verifying anything themselves, Mk 3:21)?
- How would you define the “unforgivable sin” (Mk 3:29)? (Hint for discussion leader: It is a wholesale rejection of Jesus Christ, just as these scribes saw Jesus at work and attributed His power to Satan.)
- What did Jesus mean by saying those who “do the will of God” are His “brother and sister and mother” (Mk 3:35)?
Have you ever worried that you committed “blasphemy of the Holy Spirit”? What do you think about that now? Pray for one another.