What is Wrong with the World.(Genesis 3:1-21)
Intro / Review:
- What is Sin?
- Where did sin Come From?
- What Problems does sin bring?
- Sin brings shame we try hide. (Gen 3:7)
- Sin brings shame we try to avoid. (Gen 3:8-10)
- Sin brings shame we try to deflect. (Gen 3:11-13)
- What is God's Response to sin?
- To the serpent: Defeat. (Gen 3:14-15)
- To the woman: Pain at home. (Gen 3:16)
- To the man: A hard and temporary life. (Gen 3:17-19)
- To fallen humanity: Forgiveness. (Gen 3:20-21)
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Genesis 3:1-21
- If God didn't want Adam and Eve to eat from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil", why did He put it in the Garden?
- What caused Eve to disobey (Genesis 3:6)?
Note: Not WHO (we know that) - WHAT.
- What "curses" were given to the serpent, woman, and man (Genesis 3:14-19)? How does each curse relate to the one God is addressing? (i.e., Why did man get THAT curse, and why did woman get THAT curse, etc.)
- Explain the progression of sin (doubt, deny, disobey). What would that look like in the following scenarios:
- A teenager tempted to drink alcohol with friends.
- A man tempted by porn.
- A woman tempted to shoplift.
- A child tempted to lie.
How have you seen the above progression play out in your own life? How can you be on guard against it next time?