Two Words for a God-Glorifying Marriage:
- A word for wives: SUBMIT. (Eph 5:22)
- It’s Exclusive. (Eph 5:22-23)
- It’s Exhaustive. (Eph 5:24)
- A Word for Husbands: LOVE. (Eph 5:25)
- It’s Unselfish. (Eph 5:25-30)
- It’s Unstoppable. (Eph 5:31-32)
How? Like the church does to Christ!
How? Like Christ does for the church!
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Ephesians 5:22-33
- What does the word “submit” mean, in general terms? Why is this instruction given to wives? What are some things submit does NOT mean? How would you explain this concept to a young female friend that just got married?
- Describe, in your own words, the picture of Christ and the church that is supposed to play out in marriage. Why did God design marriage to work that way?
- Why does God tell men to LOVE their wives, but tell wives to RESPECT their husbands (Eph 5:33)? Why did God use these specific words?
- Please continue to pray for marriages in your small group and those you know who are struggling in their marriages. (church, family, friends, coworkers, whoever!)
Parents Children's Questions:
- Discuss with your kids! What does authority mean? What does submit mean? How does Jesus treat the church? How should the church treat Jesus?
- If the wife is supposed to be like the church, how should she treat her husband? If the husband is to be like Jesus, how should he treat his wife?