The Teaching: Homemade Disciples
Review and Intro:
Ephesians 6:4 - Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
WHERE / WHEN
TODAY: - we are going to cover HOW and WHAT
How is a Parent to Teach? Specific Ways to Teach Your Children:
- By asking Questions and evaluating life circumstances.
Deuteronomy 6:7 - You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
- By being an Example.
Philippians 4:9 - The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things...
- By intentionally conducting a family "Worship Time".
What Is A Parent To Teach? Specific Things to Teach Your Children:
- Children (1st 5 years) – Teach Obedience.
Ephesians 6:1-2 - Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER (which is the first commandment with a promise).
- Youth (age 6-12) - Teach Character qualities.
- Teens (13-18) – Teach preparation for Adulthood.
- To apply the Word of God in decision-making.
- To find their identity in Christ.
- To make wise choices in the area of friendships and companions.
- To be strong against sexual temptation.
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Deuteronomy 6:7, Philippians 4:9, Ephesians 6:1-2
Part of fulfilling the command to "go make disciples" is teaching your own children. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Discuss specific ways you are actively teaching your children. If you are not currently doing anything, or if your children are still babies, what ways are you going to implement teaching in your home?
What's the best way to teach/encourage your child to receive Christ as Lord and Savior? At what age (of the child) should you start? How do you know when s/he has received Jesus?
Pray for yourself, as a parent to see yourself as a disciple-maker. Discuss how you can do
this better than you currently are. What 3 changes are you going to make?