- All born-again believers have the Holy Spirit.
- One of the things the Holy Spirit does is Guide believers.
- You can Resist, or Follow, His guidance.
Rom 8:14 - For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.
Two ways to Resist:
- Grieving the Spirit:
Eph 4:30 - And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- Quenching the Spirit:
1 Thes 5:19 - Do not quench the Spirit.
I Will Follow the Holy Spirit When I Drop Some Things.
- I must drop my personal Rights. (Acts 16:1-5)
Phil 2:6-7 - ...who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
- I must drop my personal Plans. (Acts 16:6-10)
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Acts 16:1-10
- Why did Paul get Timothy circumcised after the church leaders just said that wasn't necessary for salvation (Acts 16:1, 11)? What does this say about us "laying down our rights" for the sake of the Gospel?
- What "rights" do Christians sometimes hold on to - that should be let go of - for the sake of the Gospel? Be specific.
- In what ways does the Holy Spirit guide someone? Again: Be specific. How can you tell the difference between the Spirit speaking and "that was just your imagination"?
- Why would God say NO to something good, like doing mission work in a certain area (Acts 16:6-7)? What does this say about when God tells you NO about doing something, even something good?
Bonus Question: 5 - Explain grieving the Holy Spirit (Eph 4:30) and quenching the Holy Spirit (1 Thes 5:19). What is the difference between the two?
What is the Holy Spirit telling YOU to do, or to NOT do? Be specific. Pray for clarity in direction and faith to obey.