Hearing and understanding the Word of God leads to genuine JOY!
The Progression of the Involvement of the Hearers:
The people were INTERESTED in the Word of God. (Neh 8:1)
The people were ATTENTIVE to the Word of God. (Neh 8:2-3)
The people were RESPECTFUL towards the Word of God. (Neh 8:4-6)
The people UNDERSTOOD the Word of God. (Neh 8:7-8)
A proper understanding of the Word of God leads to:
- CONVICTION of SIN. (Neh 8:9)
- CELEBRATION of SALVATION. (Neh 8:10-12)
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above with your cursor for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read Nehemiah 8:1-12
- When you come to a passage of scripture that is dry or tedious (genealogies, measurements of the temple, etc), what can you do to maintain interest and focus?
- When someone is explaining the Word to you (preaching, commentaries, etc), how do you know if what they are saying is right and true?
- Does weeping and mourning over your sin increase or decrease your capacity to experience true joy? Why? Or how so?
Pray for one another!