Some Types of Sinful Speech:
CARELESS WORDS / EMPTY CHATTER
Truths from the text to help control the fire:
- We are ACCOUNTABLE for how we use our TONGUE. (Titus 3:1-2)
- Control the TONGUE, control the BODY. (Titus 3:2-5)
- Recognize that the TONGUE DEFILES us. (Titus 3:6)
- Our TONGUE can be used for GOOD and EVIL . (Titus 3:9-10)
- We are POWERLESS to tame the TONGUE without Christ. (Titus 3:7-8)
Sermon Notes (PDF): BLANK
Hint: Highlight blanks above with your cursor for answers!
Small Group Questions (Whole Group):
Read 1 Timothy 3:11 and Titus 3:2
- What does it mean to malign someone? Gossip and slander is vicious and damaging. How do you prevent this kind of evil communication from damaging your life and the lives of others?
- What is profanity? Does the culture dictate what words we consider profane? What words or phrases should we stop using, and why?
- If there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1), will Christians really be held accountable for every careless or idle word (Matthew 12:36). How do you reconcile these two passages?
- Reviewing 2 Peter 1:3-11, discuss "God's part" and "our part" in controlling the tongue.
Have you been encouraging/exhorting other in their walk with Christ this week? In what circumstances? Pray for one another.